"The Good Old Days" Inspired by Ralph Fletcher

 “The Good Old Days” 



Sometimes I remember 

The good old days 


Sharing stories late at night

With my sister


Each in our own twin bed

Snuggled deep in our blankets

Hers yellow, mine pink


We’d giggle in the darkness

Surrounded by the silence 

Of the house, warm and cozy. 


We’d touch hands 

In the empty space 

Between our beds.


I still can’t imagine

Anything better than that.


      

            Inspired by Ralph Fletcher's poem




Comments

  1. This is a beautiful poem. It took me back to times with my own sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem. I was reminded of the song, "Grandpa, Tell me bout the Good Old Days" by the Judds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...there is nothing in this entire world like growing up with a sister. I shared a room my whole childhood with my older sister and can close my eyes and remember it so clearly. So special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww what a special bond you two must have had. It makes me wish I had grown up with a sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet poem... I have shared Ralph Fletcher’s poem as a mentor text with students and with staff... it has brought about some wonderful and heartfelt writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful slice and so evocative-I remember whispering softly with my sisters,late into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen

    Thank you so much. What a great poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School (again)

Surrender is Not in My Vocabulary