To Be Loved

     I spend a lot of time driving. 

    Every other weekend, I pack up the car, grab the dog, and we're off to visit my husband on our farm. The eight-hour round trip snakes through the mountains of Upstate New York, past trees, mountains, rivers, and deer. Villages pop up along the side of the road, and then disappear. My cell signal goes in and out until it disappears for quite awhile.

    It can be a long, lonely trip. 

    Without fail, both my dad and my husband call to check on me several times during the drive. Sometimes, if I am driving through a dead zone, the calls go straight to voicemail.  Sometimes the calls from my dad and my husband overlap.

    "Can I call you back?" I interrupt our conversation. "Dad's calling to check on me." 

    "It must be nice to be loved," my husband responds, his voice warm. "I love you." 

    "I love you, too." 

    

    

    

   

  

Comments

  1. This post got me right in the feels! To be loved is the best feeling in the world and many of us are blessed to have ONE person to love and care for us like that. The fact that you have two--overlapping at times--what a true blessing! Oh, and I'm sure you dog makes for a great companion, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the warmth right there at the end. To be loved is all it is about. Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the ride, saw every tree and felt every curve. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School (again)

"The Good Old Days" Inspired by Ralph Fletcher

Surrender is Not in My Vocabulary