Twin, Bully, Friend?

     I have several sets of twins on my team this year. 

    I don't like when twins, or triplets, have the same schedule because I believe that it's best for them to grow and learn independent of one another. I don't believe it is beneficial to their emotional development for them to be together all day, and night. 

    It is very hard to write this without using specific details, but I am going to do my best to maintain the anonymity of the situation. In a nutshell, one twin is bullying the other twin during my class, and I don't know how to handle the situation. I've addressed it during class, which has slowed down the bullying,  but it hasn't stopped. 

    If it were one student bullying another student, I know exactly what I would do. Yet, I feel like none of those strategies apply here because I am dealing with this unique situation. 

    I've been told, "Well, that's just how siblings behave."

    Why is it okay for one twin to bully the other just because they're siblings? 


    

    

        

    

    

    

Comments

  1. What a difficult situation! This makes me think the family could you a repairing harm circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so tricky with siblings. I can't imagine with twins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree w/ you. I suspect this bullying goes home at home as well as in other settings. I’ve had twins in class but never witnessed bullying between them. Has the bullied child complained? Is there a counselor who can meet w/ the twins? Maybe you should handle the situation the way you would if the kids weren’t related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is difficult. I also wonder if you could frame it creating a community of respect and how they treat each other is not a good model for the community. And if a conversation happened with them and the adults in their life. Maybe also ask them to help solve the problem for the good of the community. Maybe they will suggest something you did not think about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School (again)

"The Good Old Days" Inspired by Ralph Fletcher

Surrender is Not in My Vocabulary